Farm and Feed

The EC Feed Hygiene Regulations (183/2005) provides feed businesses to have a system in place to ensure that feed is safe for the animals and the food chain.

The legislation applies to all Feed Businesses, with few exceptions. Feed businesses include ‘any undertaking whether for profit or not and whether public or private, carrying out any operation of production, manufacture, processing, storage, transport or distribution of feed including any primary producing, processing or storing feed for feeding animals on his own holding’.

Who is covered?

  • Feed Manufacturers
  • Feed Importers
  • Transporters of feed products
  • Storage of feed products
  • Food businesses supplying co-products or surplus for use in feed
  • Pet food manufacturers – NOTE that this does not include pet food retailers
  • Livestock farms, fish farms or arable farms growing or selling crops for feed

Guidance on the legislation and information for businesses supplying animal feed can be found on the Food Standards Agency website. 

Approval and Registration

The EC Regulation (183/2005) requires feed businesses to be approved or registered with their local authority and they must not operate business until such registration or approval has been acknowledged.

Following your registration or approval, WYTSS acknowledges receipt and provides you with a Feed Hygiene Registration number. We have an up to date register of all feed businesses in West Yorkshire and enforce the legislation with routine inspections. Registration is free, and may also be a requirement of your assurance scheme.

If you are a West Yorkshire based business, please click here to download a PDF form of the application form and send it back to our address.

Please be aware that if your activity type for which you are registered happens to change, it is your responsibility to let us know to keep records up to date and to aid in any future enforcement visits we may make to your business.