Contact Trading Standards

Please do not call West Yorkshire Trading Standards for consumer complaints.

All consumer complaints are now dealt with via the Citizens Advice Consumer Service which is a national Government-funded service run by the National Association of Citizens Advice Bureaux offering advice and guidance on consumer issues. To make a complaint or to report a trader, scam or unfair trading practice phone the Citizens Advice Consumer Service click here and use the online form.

The website contains a wealth of information on how to resolve problems and how to get advice online. Further information on consumer issues is available at

Tel 03454 04 05 06 open Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (excluding public holidays)



(+44) 113 2530 241


West Yorkshire Joint Services
Nepshaw Lane South
LS27 7JQ