Our research service is currently under review.
Currently we provide:
If you are unsure what records we hold that may be useful to your search please contact us.
This service fills the gap between our enquiry service, where we can answer questions about what we hold and whether we have records that can help you, and our Research Service which undertakes longer or more complicated research on your behalf. If you have a simple enquiry that requires looking at original records but are not able to visit our offices in person then this service can help. We aim to respond to you within 30 days of receiving your request.
The types of searches that we might undertake include:
• Electoral register searches for more than one address or over a number of years
• Searches for baptism, marriage or burial entries in parish registers
• Police personnel searches
• Searches for patients or staff in our hospital collections
• Searches of school admission registers
• Searches in our collections of wills at Wakefield and Leeds
• 1910 Finance Act Valuation searches
• Index searches in the West Riding Registry of Deeds
• Searches of Court registers and licensing records
• Searches in specified minute books, account books, salary records & correspondence files
• Vehicle Registration searches
Access to records containing sensitive personal data may be restricted, you will be advised of this and how you might gain access by staff. Searches longer than 30 minutes or complicated enquiries will be referred to the Research Service. Where records are held at more than one of our offices only those at the office where the form is received will be checked. Our reply will outline further options to continue research where possible.
There is a fee of £22 for a search. This includes up to two A4 photocopies. We will advise you of further copies that you might like to order, which will be charged at the current rate set by the West Yorkshire Archive Service. A full list of our current fees and charges is available here.
Payment is made in advance via cheque or credit/debit card. You are also required to complete and send the application form with details of your enquiry along with your payment.
Payment by credit/debit card: We accept the following cards: Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, Switch/ Visa Debit or Solo. Payment can be made over the telephone or by visiting the relevant archives centre.
Payment by cheque: Cheques should be in pounds sterling and made payable to Wakefield Metropolitan District Council. Please do not send credit card details by email.